Winter

Winter

Friday, September 23, 2016

Happy Friday!

Sorry, no new pictures today. Pumpkin from a couple of years ago.
I know it has been quite awhile since I posted. I have missed you! They opened the road last night. They only have a few things left to do, and then hopefully normal will return. I can walk in the morning and have all kinds of pithy thoughts. You know the saying " If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all." That pretty well sums up my life via road work.

We have had a couple of really nice days. They have been so nice and cool and make me long for sweatshirts, late afternoon coffee on the patio. A good book and a roaring fire to stare at with the winds knocking at the door. This has been a long hot summer. Even for us.


I have to tell you about this Blue Jay. While I mean no disrespect, I call him Mr. Millennium. The reason being one day he was sitting on the patio on the back of a chair, yelling his head off. I stopped, trying to figure why he was yelling. As I stood there I realized he was a baby, because his feathers on his head  was still all pin feather though every where else was nicely feathered out. The blue jays fly to the patio table and grab a bit of cat food and fly off. Mr. Millennium was sitting on a chair yelling his head off for his parents to come fly down and put the food into his mouth. So now you know his name. Oh, by the way, after a little while he got it that no one was going to feed him and he hopped over filled his beak just as full as he could get it while complaining and flew off.


Here is a new story of Mr. M. I had my chickens out in the yard. It has been a little nerve racking as the hawk. has taken to just swooping in and scaring the hens to death. In fact so much they really don't like leaving the coop unless I am out there. I was sitting out there yesterday afternoon, and they had very carefully come up the hill to where I was but still in running distance of the chicken coop. There was a huge commotion with the hens running for their lives, when to my amazement, Mr. M. was flying making swooping motions like the hawk. The hens ran to the coop, and I was so glad Elliot was with me to see that Blue Jay sitting on top of a redwood, jumping up and down with a nut in his mouth, laughing. My thought by his body language was, " I'm bad, I'm bad." He watches everything around here and follows me just like the sweet finches. He also scolds quite a bit too. 


It is September and the almond orchards are shaking the trees to harvest the crops. If there is one job I wish I could have it would be shaking almond trees on one of those contraptions. It just makes me laugh to watch them. 
That video makes me laugh too. The dust is terrible right now. I can't wait until we get rain, but I bet it rains mud.

I can open the doors and windows today, so it will be a wool dye day. Not just Friday. October is just around the corner too. Don't you just love Fall?

I wish you a lovely weekend,

~Kim~


Jane Austen
“Her pleasure in the walk must arise from the exercise and the day, from the view of the last smiles of the year upon the tawny leaves and withered hedges, and from repeating to herself some few of the thousand poetical descriptions extant of autumn--that season of peculiar and inexhaustible influence on the mind of taste and tenderness--that season which has drawn from every poet worthy of being read some attempt at description, or some lines of feeling.” 

15 comments:

Gumbo Lily said...

You have a way of telling a story that makes it so clear what's happening in your yard with the birds and hawks and squirrels. So fun. It's like a Beatrix Potter story!

It's turning fall here too. Come see!

peggy said...

just looking in and saying hello because you have that gorgeous zinnia picture on your post.

Nellie said...

Hi, Kim! I'm so happy to hear that the road work is done!! Our thermometer here didn't get the memo. We expect high temps into the nineties; already had 73 days at 90 or above; record is 78. - xo Nellie

Three Sheep Studio said...

Oh how beautiful the picture of zinnias !
How funny blue jays can be. We have several in our back lawn that always make a stink over absolutely nothing. I think they just like to hear themselves !
Rose

Debbie said...

Love hearing your stories of all that is going on around there. Soo glad your road work is done! YAY!! Now back to normal. We are heating up into the upper nineties this weekend, but I feel like I can't complain. Our September wasn't as hot as it usually is. Does that mean now that Oct will be? Sure hope not, lol. Enjoy your week-end!

Pom Pom said...

Hi Kim! I DO love fall and today it is beautiful here. I pulled out a bunch of dead stuff and that's always a good feeling.
I hope you did get to dye wool today!
Yay for the road being done - almost!
Sending lots of love your way!
How funny about the naughty JAY!

camp and cottage living said...

Interesting that you named the blue jay MR Millennium... You sure find a lot of entertainment in the lives of your chickens. Maybe someday I'll finally have a few!
I hope you get your dying finished. Do you use natural substances or powders?
Have a good weekend-Kim

Kerin said...

Glad that the road work is about wrapped up, and peace and quiet will return... well, except for that naughty jay! **grin**.

Love this time of year, and I know that you are as glad as anyone that a cool~down is coming.

{{hugs}}
~K.

TexWisGirl said...

the blue jays will mock the hawks' cries here, too. and they do scare the other songbirds. :)

Kessie said...

I'm so glad the road work is almost done! They're tearing up our apartment complex right now. From the buzz, they'll tear it up all winter. Ugh! I'm just so glad to have the cooler weather for a while.

Alica said...

I like hearing about what's happening with you...and your chickens...and your weather...enjoy the beginning of fall with your windows wide open! :)

Debbie said...

blue jays are so beautiful but they are very aggressive!! i hope they finish the road work soon, it sure has been a long time!!

beautiful blooms today!!!

Empty Nester said...

I do love fall. It's my favorite, winter comes in at #2. I just wish we had the cooler temps fall used to bring. I miss those days. I have a couple of blue jays who come to the deck to eat. I put bird seed out for the birds and the squirrels. The jays are noisy and comical. Hope all is well over there! Oh, will you be getting a lot of traffic on that new road?

GretchenJoanna said...

I do love watching the almond-shaker machine!

If my chickens were always in danger I would find it hard to relax...

acorn hollow said...

So funny I saw a baby blue jay too at our feeder. I couldn't figure out why he kept falling off until a parent came and stuffed food down his throat so he must of been a baby.
but yours was very brave.
I have never seen almonds harvest I guess I will go look it up.
Cathy