Winter

Winter

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Rugs, Books and Such


It is Wednesday, a beautiful spring day. I am aware of all of the things I take for granted. So that is good, I think. I never give to much thought to my health, but not having it really makes me see how I need to be more thankful every day. My goal this year was to hook a rug a month. I was starting to get a bit panicky because I hadn't finished a March rug. I made myself hook, and got one finished. I hope to get it bound and listed.

My take on Bremen Town Musicians
It was a fun rug to hook.
 I am glad it is finished. I have a stack of these animals sitting on my sink that I look at all of the time. Translating it to a rug is so different. I also used a new dye book to dye the background for this rug. I liked the color. The book I used was from Primitive Spirit and it was called The Dusty Little Dye Book by Karen Kahle.

The new rug I am working on is a guinea rug, but this one has three guineas. I do like hooking guineas.

I like sunflowers too.
Iris flowers today


Yesterday the mail brought Kris Miller's new rug hooking book. What a treasure trove of goodies. I wish that I had this book when I first started hooking. I have learned so much already. I also see these really bad habits I have let myself get into. It is I think the best book I have ever seen on the subject of rug hooking and
Kris Miller is such a nice lady. 

I hope you have a lovely Wednesday. I wanted to share a photo of the kids and their friends from a wedding they attended this weekend. I loved this photo because these kids are in and out of my house. They are the best and I am so thankful for the whole bunch.  My boys are the ones in front William with the blue shirt and the girl, and Elliot has his arm around that really cute girl. He has maroon shirt and Peter is on the end with one of his buddies arms on his shoulder in the pink shirt. 

I hope you have a lovely Wednesday. I think today will be a good day to watch chickens. Hook and read my new book.
~ Kim~

"But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus.…"

For my friend.

20 comments:

Gail said...

All things beautiful.

NanaNor's said...

Hi Kim, Love seeing your finished rug-you are very talented.
You are blessed by the love of family; it does make life richer.
Sending hugs your way.
Noreen

Christine said...

A beautiful spring rug! The green wool you've used reminds me of our lawn! So I think it has a bit of Irish in it!!
Have a wonderful day doing what you love!

Julia said...

I can't believe how productive you are Kim, you're selling rugs left and right. I'm so happy for you that your Etsy business is doing so well. This rug is wonderful too. You must be using wide cuts of course since you hook primitive.

I have Gene Shepherd Hooking Bible book and his techniques are wonderful but I find his color choice too bright for my own taste. It's a good book too.

Are you still using Cool Aid to dye your wool. I just read that they fade faster than regular wool dye. I don't know if this is true.


Nice bunch of young friends.

I'm thankful for your faithfulness as blogger friend aand for such a beautiful day. Although we still have lots of snow, Mother Nature is smiling on us today as she waits to give birth to Spring... not a cloud in the beautiful blue sky, I got my two batches of wine bottled today. Yeah!!!

Have a beautiful day
Hugs,
JB

Pom Pom said...

That's fun to learn new rug hooking things, isn't it?
VERY cute photo! Aw!
I am glad you are feeling a bit better! I love the guinea hens and the musicians, too! Well done, Kim!

Kim said...

That is a cute rug. I love the green background. That is the perfect Spring green shade

TexWisGirl said...

love the guinea hen!

Jacque. said...

Kim, your hooking has grown by leaps and bounds since you began. Working on your own with only the internet is difficult and you have learned so much! Keep on hooking!

Three Sheep Studio said...

What a great group of kids !
Beautiful dyed background on your rug. Love that color ! Glad your feeling better ;)
Rose

Debbie said...

The rugs look great, I set goals for my creative self as well, but I don't fret if I don't meet them!! I too have picked up a few bad habits with knitting but I like to think perhaps I have invented a "better" way!!

Alica said...

How can it be possible that I never knew you had an etsy shop?! I'm a little slow! :) You certainly keep yourself busy, Kim. I hope you're feeling better! What a fun group of kids!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

I love your rugs. They are wonderful and I hope your day was just like you had wanted. The picture of the family is great. I hope you are doing fine! Yes our health...we can't take it for granted.

Debbie said...

After these last couple of weeks I am very aware how much our health affects us. We can NEVER take it for granted that's for sure. Sounds like you had such a wonderful day planned. LOVE the new rug...beautiful as always!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I just love seeing your rugs ... you're so creative. After years of taking for granted (relatively) good health, I certainly realized that it's a huge blessing that cannot be taken for for granted after suffering through that sinus infection for almost 3 full weeks. I hope you're really starting to feel much better, my friend.

Kerin said...

I do hope that you get feeling better soon. You've had more than your fair share on illnesses at your house so far this year.
Wishing you all improved health!!

Love the finished rug, and the green is gorgeous!!! Great job!!!
I do love the more saturated colors :)

Lucky you.. having spring, with irises, and blossoms.
It is slowly getting spring here, though we haven't had the kinds of warm temps. that you've had.

Cute picture of the boys and their friends. Looks like they had a nice time :)

~K.

annie said...

Hope you're feeling better, I love the "stack", and the colors!
I love the guineas too!

Gumbo Lily said...

Another adorable rug with sweet barnyard buddies. Love the pic of your sons. Good looking young men!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

You have a lovely talent- these rugs are so pretty. Have a great weekend!

Diana Ferguson said...

You have a good weekend! It's a beautiful day out there. I hope you are feeling so much better by now.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Fun rugs!
Hugs :)
Lauren