Winter

Winter

Thursday, January 4, 2018

Whole 30


This December, I enjoyed myself. I ate lots of things I don't normally eat. By the time Christmas day arrived, I was sick of food. Sugar and flour. I got the bright idea that we would do Whole 30. I mean, what is 30 days right? I can do this! That was Monday. I went online and I got four menus with grocery lists. I went to the grocery store and bought every thing for a week. All of the fresh vegetables is fun. I do like trying new things. That's is nice positive part.

Now today is the fourth day. Four days without sugar! Flour! Having coffee black every day is such a drag, so is tea. I love honey. Today was by far the hardest.


I am so sad, depressed and grumpy. I keep waiting for all of the positive, and upbeat energy to hit. I knew the withdrawal would be hard, but sheesh this is crazy. I wanted to reset my system. I just had no idea it was going to be so hard. Its nice because Ron is on it with me and the boys are on it too. So we can keep each other laughing about it. We even made Ghee. That is pretty interesting. Today I had a orange, I have to tell you it was like the best thing I have ever ate in my life. So its beginning to work I think. Once I get past all of the whining and whimpering. I actually hid in my bedroom today so I could stay away from the kitchen and all of the food with flour and sugar I could make.

Freddy the best chicken in the world.
So anyway, that is my New Year goal. Make it to day 30. I think what is really good for me is I have to make every thing from scratch. I like that. I had got just a bit lazy. This way I am trying new recipes. Do you know what food I found I really like? Sweet potatoes. I never knew I could do so much with them.

I just thought I would share with you. This has been a nice week. The terrible neighbors moved out. Yay!! I got my jury summons today. Not yay. I am just going to accept it and move on. Tell myself over and over all of those things about a free society I learned about in Civics class.

Aw January. Always such an interesting month. Stay warm all of you in that cold blizzard. I hope it warms up soon.

Bye for now,
Kim

We spend January 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives... not looking for flaws, but for potential. ~Ellen Goodman

11 comments:

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Good luck with your diet. Your goal is the same as mine- to stop eating sugar. Mark already has so you would think it would be easy, but not! Happy New Year!

Three Sheep Studio said...

I love baked sweet potato fries with sriracha dipping sauce ! Oh yum.
Keep going - you can do it !!
Rose

Julia said...

Good luck with staying free from sugar and flour. You can do it one day at a time. It's good that you are not alone doing this... I don't eat sugar on a regular basis because I seldom bake anymore. Only once in a blue moon.

The storm is over and we didn't loose our power.
Take care.
Hugs, Julia

Kessie said...

Blah, it sounds so hard! I don't know if I could do Whole 30. I'd be so dang hungry all the time. I have been eating more veggies, and they do make me feel so good.

Debbie said...

i tried this once kim, no potatoes, pasta, sugar or bread - for one week i was miserable, and always hungry, always!! so i stopped, i gave up!!

i like who i am and when i tried that diet, i no longer liked myself. i was not bubbly, happy or fun. so....i will never do it again. i would rather be fat, than miserable!!! i wish i could say positive things about my experience, but i can't. i wish you good luck, i hope you can maintain who you are!!

and good riddens to those nasty neighbors, we will not miss you!!!!!!!

Gumbo Lily said...

Kim,
Hubby and I are doing Whole30 also. A few years back we did a keto style diet and did very well with it and gradually added in some starches. This year (with Whole30) we are adding in that lovely, delicious, fresh, sweet fruit that we didn't get in the previous diet. As you can tell, I've had my fruit and really appreciated its sweetness like you did!
I'm not grumpy, I'm challenged, but I can do it and so can you! The first week or so is always the hardest. My goal is to continue to stay off sugar and eat Real Foods. Also to stay off most breads/pastas for a while.

I love good, black coffee (yay me!). Is there a flavored coffee that would make you happier to drink? I don't like black tea without honey so I'm drinking herbals instead. I'm with you, Sister! We can do it!!! It does get better.
~Jody

Rugs and Pugs said...

I must live under a rock. I never heard of Whole 30. Not something I could do but good luck to you :)
Lauren

Unknown said...

When I did Whole 30, I missed the cream in my coffee the most. You will be so successful and will feel clean but it’s not for sissies 😂

GretchenJoanna said...

You have to be sure to eat enough protein and fat, which would be my comfort food. Speaking theoretically, because I'm definitely on a different sort of "plan" for a few weeks. But I think I could live on sweet potatoes and ghee.

Alica said...

I have the Whole 30 book that a friend lent to me...and it's been sitting on the shelf for a couple of months now, just waiting for me to dive in and give it a try! I hope you keep us posted on how it's going! I've had several friends tell me how worth it, it was! I've been so absent from blogland recently, it was good to finally sit down and read through posts again! Hope you are well!

Pom Pom said...

Best wishes for your Whole 30 adventure. You were already avoiding flour, weren't you?
I hope you are happily hooking rugs in the cooler January weather.
Share some of the recipes you come up with, okay?
Sending love your way!