Winter

Winter

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Summer Is Winding Down


Summer is winding down. The mornings are cool, even if the afternoons are not. I am glad we are coming into the last week of August. August is going to end here the way it started with temps from 101-110. I have stopped reading our local weather. Texas of course is in my prayers. Can you believe Labor Day is coming up? I am looking forward to Fall though. What a summer. Though, never as bad as last summer when they were putting in the road. All in all its been a nice summer.


I am really enjoying the D.L. Stevenson books I have found at the library. As Ron says, " You only like books where the people go around and talk to everyone." Its true. As the back of the book I was reading, Music in the Hills said," D.L. Stevenson writes about a tempest in a teacup." Just nice peaceful books in nice settings. I haven't turned on Netflix all summer. I just haven't had the patience. Or the inclination. I haven't even gone to the movies. Which is so weird because one of the summer time things I like to do is just that go out to dinner and then go to the movies.


I am still working on my embroidery stitch book.  I am working on page four. That has been so much fun for me to do. I really am glad I decided to do it. I really do enjoy hand embroidery and learning new stitches.
It nice to try different things. I am ignoring my pumpkins. I try not to give them too much attention. I am afraid I am going to jinx them. I sort of glace at them and I have seen a few pumpkins. I know I have one vine with a bunch of white Jill be Littles. I have some small orange pumpkins. But other than that, I am not looking. I want to be surprised. I know if I look too close, I might want to pick them. I am going to ignore them until the end of September and then I hope I am pleasantly surprised.


 One of the dogs next door continues to get out every day. He is a very dumb dog. Not a mean one, just a lumbering kind of dog. He is a mix breed of some kind and just gal-oops around. He is a puppy really. When you look at him you can see that he is missing not just one taco from the combination plate but the whole plate and the kitchen. I really don't want to complain any more to these people so I decided I would just ignore him. So when I am out walking he just runs ahead of me like he is my dog. Sasha stays in the yard. She gets so embarrassed when he comes up to ravage her, If she didn't have a furry face it would be beet red. She doesn't seem to mind not being out with me and staying behind. He doesn't seem to notice my chickens or cats. He did run after some doves that were eating and stood there looking puzzled when they flew off. 

There is so much going on in the world, that I really try to live at peace with all men as it lies with me. 
I would like to be nice all of the time. Sometimes I can. It just takes too much energy to be unhappy or upset. I just don't have that energy anymore. Last week, I was able to walk 14-16 thousand steps everyday. 
I finally hit that place where It feels so good to be getting that kind of exercise. I try to get 10,000 in the morning before nine. That helps my steps the rest of the day. It nice to see my progress. I got my badge for walking all of New Zealand. 900 Miles. 


Its time to go get my next dot. I hope you have  delightful day. I have already finished my work outside, so I will be inside today except for taking care of my poor hens. I lost one yesterday. It broke my heart. She laid her egg and then keeled over from the heat. She was one of my new little girls. I tried to save her by putting her feet in water and all of that but she just closed her eyes and was gone. Her name was Red. I know I am inventive right? So I will be spending lots more time outside with them during this next heat wave. I will never be good at loosing animals. Even if they are just chickens.

Bye for now, thank you for stopping by today. 

~Kim~

Life starts all over again When it gets crisp in the Fall.---F.Scott Fitzgerald.

9 comments:

Debbie said...

our weather has been the same kim, the mornings are beautiful - but i too, am looking forward to fall!!!

reading and stitching, you have kept fun and interesting habits throughout the summer. the morning glories are gorgeous!!!

Rugs and Pugs said...

10,000 steps by 9:00. I am so impressed but I know you get up before the crack of dawn...lol. Great for you.
This is a very strange August in northern Ohio. Though it is gorgeous out, it feels more like late September. I hope you finally begin to cool down.
Poor Red :(
Happy weekend to you.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Pom Pom said...

I'm so sorry about Red. Sad face.
That's A LOT of steps! Both Bill and I are wearing real watches now instead of fitbits. Funny!
I hope the weather DOES cool off some. I'm itchy for fall weather.

Sue said...

We have had a grueling summer too, Kim, I am counting the days until it changes, as I was complaining today about the intense heat Dh reminded me that we live in the south!~smile~
We are blessed, at least we are not experiencing what Texas is, as we were riding to town today I reminded myself of just how blessed we are.
Sorry about your hen, I am always sad when we lose one of our animals!
Have a blessed evening!
Hugs,
Sue

Julia said...

Wow, you are really getting into shape with this Fitbit thingie. I walk a lot back and forth with my work but i have no idea how far I walk every day. Good for you for excelling at your goal.

Your Morning Glories are so beautiful. They must be spectacular in your garden.

I've noticed that it gets dark much earlier now and I can't work outside as late as I did before. It's getting cooler outdoors already although it's still quite warm outside. Today was sunny and cloudy and a bit humid.

Fall is definitely on it's way.
Take care and keep up the good work with your Fitbit.
Hugs, Julia


Empty Nester said...

You're a better woman than I. We have neighbors across the street who aren't my favorites but so much better than the ones before so I'm trying to count my blessings this time. It's so nice here right now but I know it won't last. I told Maggie this morning not to get used to it because we won't have fall until winter. LOL At least football season is upon us! So sorry about Red. I'm the same way about animals. Even the squirrels and such that hang out in our yard. I put water out year 'round for them. Everyone tells me not to but I can't help it. They get hot, too. :)

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I see how ignoring the dog would keep you sane, but still a switch or two to the behind should run him off- or at least a loud GIT. LOL! I can tell Fall is coming and I am so excited. It's my favorite season next to Christmas time, which I guess I should just include Oct, Nov and Dec and make my own season because those three are the best! I have projects waiting on the real fall to get here, and I am trying to work back up to 13,500 on my steps where I was before I got plantar fascitis? I've been wering funky looking Strutz, and shoes with memory foam and that has helped. But I am still below 10000 most days. Grrrr. Getting old is just ridiculous!

Gumbo Lily said...

It's been very hot here too, but not in the 100s. Sorry to hear about your poor hen. I've really been pouring the cool water out for my hens. I've got pullet eggs coming now. Just 3 tonight.

GretchenJoanna said...

It's going to be over 100 this weekend here, too!

How exactly do you put your hens' feet in cold water? Do you hold a chicken in one arm and hold the feet under water with the other? Do you put ice in this water? Do the birds quietly submit to the treatment?

I'm so happy that you have made your peace with the dog, if not his owners. That is a great blessing. One of the yappy dogs next door nipped at my leg yesterday when I was in her yard. Her name is Lisa and I think it is totally inappropriate for her!