Winter

Winter

Monday, June 5, 2017

A June Morning


What can be prettier than waking up on a June morning. The breeze moves gently through the trees. The grass sparkles with thousands of rainbows while the golden light of the sun warms the morning. The mockingbird sings in the top of the pine tree and every so often does a black flip for the joy of being alive.  June is a place full of promises, of dreams. Summer is just waiting in the wings. Its so nice to wake up early and see the light change into morning so much faster than in the winter. At night, the dark blue of twilight is just as thrilling as it is to see the stars twinkle like opals, diamonds and rubies.

I turned these apricots into sunshine in a jar.

This

This

And This
I made apricot-pineapple jam. I haven't made that kind in gosh, lets see, can it really be 34 years? The first time I made jam with my Mom officially to take home for my household. Kessie was a baby. My Mom was a bee keeper and she would take her bees to farmers and they would pay her in fruit. She had boxes of apricots. I spent the day and we made hundreds of jars of jam.

When the farmers would let us go into their fields to cut the grapes so we could make raisins we could fill up boxes and boxes in about 10 minutes. Then we would have tables covered with butcher paper and we would sit on her porch and pull the grapes off the stems and we would then lay out the grapes in one layer and put screens over the top of the grapes and watch as the summer sun turned them into raisins. I think of summer still as one of my greatest joys in life is filling my pantry full of the produce and fruit we grow and sharing with others.


  Can you see the little tiny bits of green?  I finally planted my bag of zinnias seeds. Remember when I bought this?
I have carried them with me all over the yard and garden. I couldn't seem to find a place to plant them. On Saturday, I found a place I thought would be a great place to plant them. So Ron and I worked in one of the flowerbeds that gets full sun. I sprinkled them and then covered them with the mulch we made in the winter. I can't believe that they are already coming up. We started another mulch pile last night. I think my garden is doing so well this year because of it. I don't think I have ever had seeds come up so fast. Nor grow by leaps and bounds.

I finished my chicken rug last week. I keep forgetting to show you a picture. As you can tell it is one of my own designs.

I am going to stop hooking for a bit. I really want to work on my His Eye is on The Sparrow. I don't have enough time it seems to do both. I thought I would try and take turns and make some good progress on that counted cross stitch. Not to mention working outside so much, my hands will get too stiff to hold a needle. I get clumsy with my fingers so I have to stop  hooking and do hand sewing for awhile.

Last week we had a rainy morning. The sunrise was so pretty. I took some pictures. I meant to show you, but alas even on my blog I am scatter minded.


I thought they were so pretty. Very rare for here in the last week of May. Just like the rain that came down that day.


I watched our grandsons one weekend so Mom and Dad could get away. I have to tell you this little story that I am still laughing at every time I think of it. Munchie is five. The boys were riding scooters up and down the patio. Ron and I were sitting there and a moth flew towards us as it had been disturbed by the boys. Munchie rode up to me on his scooter. He said, " Oh did you see that Mop?" I questioned, "Mop" because I had seen the moth flying. He said, " Oh you know Grandma, Aka Moth!"  I just love having kids around to make me laugh about things like that, so now every time I see a moth, its an aka moth.

I hope you have a lovely week.

~Kim~


Hold fast your dreams!
Within your heart
Keep one still, secret spot
Where dreams may go,
And sheltered so,
May Thrive and grow---
Where doubt and fear are not.
Oh, keep a place apart
Within your heart,
For little dreams to go.

Hold Fast Your Dreams
Louise Driscoll


9 comments:

Gumbo Lily said...

Sunshine in a jar! That is the truth! I love making and eating jam. What good memories the work gave you thinking of your mom.

Love the chicken rug. I like your original patterns.

Hooray for zinnias! I planted some too, but they aren't up yet. I hope you have gobs of blooms everywhere.


Kessie said...

I just finished cleaning house and sat down to read blogs. So nice to see pictures of that nice, nice jam! I'll have to make some so I can taste it. :-)

Rugs and Pugs said...

Love your chicken rug and those hydrangeas - WOW! One of my favorite flowers.
I never heard of anyone making their own raisins :)
Hugs :)
Lauren

Julia said...

You sure get a lot done and that jam looks delicious. I can understand the need to put your rug hooking on the shelf. There's always so much to do.

Nothing like mulch to keep the moisture in the ground I find.
It sure helps your lovely flowers. I've been outdoors doing a million things in the garden it seems. Everything needs attention at the same time.

I'm looking forward to seeing your Zinnias.

I love your Aka Moth story. Kids say cute things sometimes.

Take care and stay cool.
Smiles and hugs, Julia

Julia said...

I had forgotten to comment on your chicken rug. It's beautiful like all your rugs.
Julia

Three Sheep Studio said...

I just love that story about your mom. Your chicken rug is so much fun !! I'm always changing up what I'm working on to give my hands a rest !
Lovely hydrangeas!!
Rose

Debbie said...

Good morning! First off, what GORGEOUS hydrangeas! I really love the lavender. One of mom's is FINALLY in full bloom. I was soo excited. It's been there for a while, but not blooming. But now seeing yours I think I would really like a lavender one. Your chicken rug is wonderful as always. Oh and your apricot/pineapple jam sounds SOOO good. I only canned once and it was with a neighbor. I so enjoyed doing it. We made plum jam. There was something so satisfying about the whole process. Enjoy the rest of your week!

Empty Nester said...

AKA Moth. LOL Aren't kids the best? Especially grandkids. I'm so glad I've been blessed by knowing that joy. I wish I could see the world as you do, Kim. So happy, positive, accepting... I do appreciate your joyful heart.

Debbie said...

you are quite poetic this morning miss kim...i have a glass of whatever you had!!! hehehehe

a beautiful sunrise and your hydrangeas, wow, they are gorgeous. mine are coming, i just need a few days of sunshine!!!