Winter

Winter

Monday, July 13, 2015

Bringing the Windmill Home


The windmill is home. It was hot, and lots of hard work. I am so thankful for my family, who put up with my hair brained ideas. I did take pictures.
You can't really tell how big it is from this picture.


Trying to figure out how to dismantle it.

Talking about how best to remove bolts.


The windmill is over a hundred years old. Those bolts have been on a long time.

Getting the first one off.

The first of six
Once they got all of the blades off then the scary hard part.   
Getting that cast iron motor unchained from the poll.

It was so heavy.

All loaded on the trailer to be brought home.
I have the blades now in my shed. The motor and shaft have been soaked in kerosene and  WD40. Ron and Ben want to fool with it but it is hot. So it will get soaked until they can get the shaft to turn. It is a huge project.

As they work on it I will keep taking pictures. It really is so amazing to me to have it here now. It really isn't in too bad of shape for as old as it is.

Thanks for visiting today. I still can't believe it is here.

Have a lovely Monday,
~Kim~

12 comments:

Debbie said...

Good morning! Well now that I have caught up on the windmill story I can see why this is all sooo exciting to you! I love windmill's too and think this is going to be soo neat! Happy and excited for you and looking forward to seeing it all in and running. Have a good week!

Joy said...

It will be awesome when the project is completed! Having lived on my in-law's ranch for 7 years, I am familiar with windmills; they were used to pump water to the tanks for the cows. We had to have repairmen come out several times over the years to repair them, or else my husband and father in law worked on them. In winter, they would turn them 'off' and they would have to be turned back on come spring. I had a few loose blades for decoration leaning against the house.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Oh so exciting! It's here! I can only imagine the smile on your face when it's put back together and up on its stand (I forget the name of it).

Kessie said...

Goodness, that is so exciting! It looks so awesome!!

Jacque. said...

WOW...what a big job this will be...but definitely worth every moment! Looking forward to watching this come together for you. xo

TexWisGirl said...

so very cool! glad you have so many handy folks in your family!

Gumbo Lily said...

Very cool!

Nellie said...

This is a major project, but what a pleasure for you! xo Nellie

Rugs and Pugs said...

What a cool story. I had missed the previous post. How wonderful of Wayne to give it to you and I'm sure it will eventually be restored with much love, patience and HARD WORK! Take us along on the journey.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Debbie said...

awwwww, i love how happy you are!! too cool for school!!!!

LL Farm said...

What a great piece. I look forward to seeing it in its glory.

Kerin said...

You've got a great group of helpers there! It's nice that your family works together to accomplish goals :)
Best of luck with this project! Looking forward to seeing it completed, and I just know it's going to look awesome at your place.

~K.