Winter

Winter

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Binding Rugs


I hope you have had a wonderful week so far. Most of my weeks fly by, but this week has taken its own sweet time. Next week Ron will be on vacation and we will have the house all to ourselves, as the boys go back up to Santa Cruz to be camp counselors again. I am so looking forward to being just us for a week. Kinda like a honeymoon. ;) We always manage to get in some kind of mischief when we are home alone. Last year we caught the smoker on fire.  No one catches a smoker on fire. It should be fun.


I have almost three rugs bound this week.  The biggest rug, the Mermaid rug will take a bit of time as it is a huge rug.

Here is a bit of my work.

I should finish this one today and get it steamed. I start to get panicky when I have unbound rugs, stacking up.
I have two new patterns on my frames. I dyed wool this week so I am ready to go, but I had to get the binding done before I can pick up my hook.


 I finally got Faded Glory bound. This was just experiment from start to finish. I dyed the wool using other darker red and blue in hot water and let it sit. I love how those colors turn out using that method. I will be trying it again.

I finished this one of Cathy Greschner patterns! 

I do enjoy her patterns so much. The whole time I am hooking them I feel like I am smiling. I was trying to use up my worms-my left over pieces of wool. I didn't make a dent in the bags I have but it is fun to try and use them anyway.

This is my mermaid rug. It was a test for me. Also very challenging as water is hard and then all of the letters.
The words are loosely copied from A Midsummer's Nights Dream.

"And heard a mermaid on a dolphins back, uttering such dulcet and harmonious breath, that the rude sea grew civil at her song; and certain stars shot madly from their spheres to hear the sea-maids music."

I think it will look lots better bound and re-steamed. This one will be one I have to put away for awhile as all I see are the mistakes. I did that what is is called, you know when you rip it out, oh yea, reverse hooking. Three times. I just had to finally stop. 

This is the middle of July and I have so many summer rugs I wanted to get done. I am ready to start doing fall rugs.

Just a bit of what I got done this week. I hope to start on the mermaid rug binding, today. After my work of course.

I hope you have a lovely Thursday,
~Kim~


"Garnet found a silver thimble in the sand by the river and she was sure it had magic, for the summer had proved exciting and interesting in so many different ways. There was the coming of Eric, an orphan and such a nice addition to the family; the building of a new barn with money loaned by the government; and the fair at which Garnet's carefully tended pig won a blue ribbon and three dollars and a half! Every day brought pleasure of some kind to Garnet of the flying pigtails, for she was bursting with energy and good spirits and she loved the outdoors and growing things."

Elisabeth Enright---Thimble Summer

11 comments:

Gail said...

I shall have to read Thimble Summer. I like that passage.

Enjoy your vacation time.

TexWisGirl said...

reverse hooking. :) love faded glory. and BEAUTIFUL morning glories!

Kessie said...

Look at all your crafty things! I think the mermaid came out very nice. It has lots of movement.

Tell you what, I'm looking forward to August. Just me and my kids. :-)

Julia said...

I can't believe how many rugs you've hooked and I have a hard time just getting started. Old faded Glory turned out nice with faded colors.

The way I understand is that you didn't simmer the wool but you let it sit in a hot water dye bath. I'm I correct? Did you used vinegar or citric acid to set the colors. I would be afraid that it will fade more over time as it's perfect right now because it wasn't simmered for half and hour in the dye bath and half an hour with the acid bath. I'm always so afraid that my rugs will fade too much in the light.

It will be so very nice just the two of you. I hope you won't set the smoker on fire again. That must have been funny in a way.

Take care. Hugs,
JB

Debbie said...

pretty rugs, i like the mermaid but i would imagine those letter are hard to hook!!

i like the faded glory, i have seen that one before, it looks great finished!!!

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh you are so very talented and I would have a hard time picking my favourite. Hug B

Kerin said...

Yay! It must be nice to have finished so many rugs, and to get the binding done on them.... way to go!
All of your rugs are beautiful, and I really like the rug with the bee skep.

I so hope that you and Ron have a great time.. but be safe!
Try not to start another fire, or get hurt **smile**

~K.

Christine said...

Oh well done Kim! Your rugs are beautiful and to think you created the designs too! Very talented of you!
Hope your honeymoon is fun but take care with the fire!

Velva said...

Enjoy your alone time!! Find mischief too.

Velva

ezel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Thanks Nice blog and sharing
Vimax