Winter

Winter

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Traveling Central California


I am sitting in a hotel room in the Central Valley of California. I hate to even tell you how long it has been since I made this trek and I have never been in the city of Folsom. It is a beautiful place. Filled with rolling hills and oak trees. Off in the distance, I can see the smoke from the fires. The sky is still blue over head. I can see every so often the airplanes refueling with fire retardant.


Driving up yesterday, along the freeway, there was fields of pumpkins. They were piled up at the end of rows and people were loading them onto trailers. On the other side of the freeway was a field of  nothing but white pumpkins.
When you hear that the central valley grows the food for the nation, I know I never noticed until our drive. We drove for 6 hours yesterday and we saw almonds, strawberries, pomegranate, walnut trees.
There were dairies with thousands of cows. Then there would be acres and acres of silage just starting to tassel.  We drove by fields of tomatoes, and peppers and lettuce. There were miles and miles of grapes. Table grapes and wine grapes.  Miles and miles of crops that grow food. Every where though, you could see the effects of the drought. I realize that I love living in Central valley. I get tired of the dirt, and the heat and all of that, but deep in my heart is the love for the ground and for farming and the work that has gone on in the great San Joaquin valley to feed the nation.


On this first day of fall. The weather is finally starting to change. I could feel it when I went out for a walk. It will come here first and then it will follow me home. I feel very thankful to be here.
It is nice to have a break from normal. It is nice to see and feel a different place. Of all of the places that I could have been born, I am so thankful that I live in the Central Valley of California. I know why when my family left the places they did to come here, I know why. It is because of the land.


Back at home, my sister in law said today that the school her kids go to in town had to be cancelled because of bears. It is so dry, the bears are leaving the mountains and coming to town to get water. Isn't that sad?

I hope you have a lovely day,

~Kim~





" Jenny looked at the little flint arrowhead lying in her palm. She had always longed for a elf bolt. Many hundreds of years ago had a fairy loosed this from his bow?  Elf bolts were the most precious of precious things."

---The White Witch, Elisabeth Goudge 1958

15 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

very sad drought and fire condition in your state! we will all feel it because of those foods you speak of...

Meg said...

What are you doing out of town?! I hope you're enjoying yourself while you're gone, since you never get away anymore!

Julia said...

It's so nice getting from the old routine. I'm glad you are keeping in touch with your blogger friends.

Nothing like going away to make the heart fonder.

Enjoy your trip away.
Hugs,
JB

Pom Pom said...

Wow! School canceled because of bears! A bear day instead of a snow day! Funny! I hope the kids are all safe though.
I'm glad you got to look our the window and love your California. It is such a grow-y and golden place, I think!

Debbie said...

It IS nice to get away for awhile isn't it? So glad you are getting this opportunity. Wow! Bears?! That is sad. It must be bad to cancel school though. Yes, California is hard to beat in many, many ways. Enjoy your time away!

Dog Trot Farm said...

Kim, it's official fall is here..How nice for you to get away, have a lovely time...stay safe...

Susan Kane said...

The first time we drove up the Central Valley I was enthralled by the fields and fields of every type of produce. It amazed me.

Rugs and Pugs said...

School was cancelled because of bears??? That's a new one for me.
Safe travels.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Nellie said...

It sounds like you are having a good journey! Safe travels to you! xo Nellie

Kessie said...

I always wondered what was up there! It's sad about the drought, though. I hope it's a wet winter. Hope you're having fun up there! It'll be so nice on your mind. :-)

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Yikes! School cancelled because of bears. That drought is so sad, so scary because it's obviously affecting us all.

Debbie said...

it sounds like your road trip had some beautiful views!!

i wonder if we should start hoping for snow?? we had a bear attack in new newsey, the college son #2 attended. the boy did not survive!!

Three Sheep Studio said...

Sad to hear about the severe drought in your area.
We have friends that are from California and they often talk about the Central Valley and the food it produces. I would love to see it just once !
Rose

Debbie said...

* new jersey

Anonymous said...

The land! The land! I envy your driving up the Valley - I know I always get exciting doing the Grand Tour of our very productive and wonderful state. I'm glad you got to go and in harvest time, too!