Winter

Winter

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Wonderful Wednesday!


Do you ever wake up and the first thought is, I am so glad I am alive? I admit until I had my eye fixed I didn't feel that way at all. My thought then would be I wonder how I will get through the day.
Well, I have my oldest silkie hen. I noticed that she seemed to be pulling away, and just standing in the corner and not eating and as I watched her I realized her little fuzzy top knot had grown so much during the winter she couldn't see.

I went back in the house and grabbed some scissors. Never mind that I hadn't figured out how was I going to grab a chicken, hold her in my arms and give her a haircut. I chased her and got her pinned in a corner and picked her up and I could feel how skinny she had become. I kind of put her under my arm and then very carefully started trimming her top knot. Silkie chicken feathers are more like down. So as I trimmed the air was white with these little flowers. Like dandelion puffs.


 I trimmed as carefully as I could until now she looks like I shaved her head. The funny thing as I put her down she started eating like she was starving to death. Right away her old bossy self was back and into her eyes came the look like she was back in the saddle again. I stood and watched her and thought to myself that is just the way I feel. I know you will get tired of this but I am alive again. I never knew I was gone. I feel so much like the second movie of Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.  Gandalf to Theoden,
" I bid you come out before your doors and look abroad. Too long have you sat in the shadows."


I just find even the grass and the weeds and the color of different greens. I had forgot the shades of green and the different shapes of clouds and watching the birds and watching as they fly. There is this hummingbird that makes this sound. Kind of like sawing through wood. He sits in the tops of the trees and makes it and I sat and was finally able to see him.

I sewed yesterday, and to be able to see the fabric and the colors and my needle, just amazes me. The headaches are gone as well. I had about three migraines a week before the surgery. You know how it is when you have one you just don't loose one day but at least two.

So yes, it is a wonderful Wednesday, a wonderful week.

Thank you for stopping by today,

~Kim~

"Surely it is cruel to cut down a very fine tree! Each dull, dead thud of the axe hurts
the little green fairy that lives in its heart."
---The Fairy Caravan---Beatrix Potter, 1929


22 comments:

Kessie said...

Poor silky! I'm glad you trimmed her hairdo. Boy, nothing like coming back from the edge of blindness. Every day I'm so thankful you can see again and do stuff. :-)

Sue said...

Loved this Kim, I find it so amazing and beautiful the doctor fixed your eyes and now you get to fix your silkie's fuzzy top so she can see better. What a wonderful feeling to wake up feeling so alive. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful pot.
Hugs,
Sue

Christine said...

Well that is in itself such a relief for you, to have no more dreadful headaches! So glad you can stitch again and really see the pattern coming to life before your eyes!

Jacque. said...

Re-born Chicken! woohoo!!! xo

TexWisGirl said...

oh, that poor chicken!

Gail said...

You are a testament for us all. We ungrateful ones who could see and didn't know the gift in that.

I like seeing the world through your eyes.

Sarah said...

Hope Silkie gains all her weight back!

Nellie said...

I continue to rejoice with you at the improvement you have had with the surgery! Little Silkie has to regain her good health with that haircut! xo Nellie

Beth said...

I am so glad your chickie is eating again and super happy that you are seeing all of those wonderful things.

GretchenJoanna said...

It would never have occurred to me that the chicken needed a feathercut. You are a good mother hen to your chicks. I won't get tired of you sharing your happiness at seeing the world afresh.

Julia said...

Hi Kim, I'm so glad that you and your silkie chicken can see again and are reborn. Sometimes we have to be almost blind to realized what gift our vision is.
Have a great week.
Hugs,
JB

Debbie said...

Well I am sure glad you were able to give your little silkie chicken a feather cut! But I am even happier you are still soo pleased and celebrating your renewed sight! What a wonder that must be for you!

Miss Debbie said...

So glad you are feeling so much better and enjoying your "new" sight! I bet your silkie is happier, too. Good thing that you know them so well that you noticed something was wrong. It was funny picturing you giving her the haircut! :-)

Pom Pom said...

I'm so thankful for your healing!

Three Sheep Studio said...

I am amazed how you love your chickens, Kim. Enough to see when one was standing off by herself ! A haircut for a chicken sounds very funny to me, but I am so glad it worked !
Rose

Debbie said...

i try to feel that every day!! poor chicken but a happy ending none the less!!

M.E. Masterson said...

Oh how wonderful! So glad you can see proper now....and Silkie can see again to eat...may need to give her a little special attention until she fattens up a bit. :)

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Cute bird. Would you never have noticed her if your eye was not fixed? Good thing, you saw her delema, she would have starved otherwise. Amazing what a haircut can do. Wonder what else God was showing you through this life story?

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I will never get tired of hearing you proclaim how much better you feel now that you can see! Glad your little silkie is feeling better, too!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

when animals get old, they get poorly, that's what's been happening around here. then there's the kitten who was being pushed away from the food dish so she's been getting special food and has gained a few ounces. the things we do for our animals but I enjoy being a good steward.

Meg said...

Haha poor little silky. I never thought of their 'do getting too out of control. I bet she feels much better. I just keep thinking about what you told me on the phone last night about not needing glasses.... It just blows my mind! It's so cool!!

jennifer768 said...

Such a beautiful post,it reminds us not to take things for granted.I love your silkie,never gave one of them a haircut but I have given a Polish or two a few snips.Have a blessed weekend.Hugs,Jen