Winter

Winter

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Odds and Ends


It is finally the weekend. It was so nice to wake up and it was Saturday. We have a cold front arriving by Monday so you can imagine how happy I am to get to wear a jacket and warm clothes and they are promising wind so that would be nice and I would like to hope for a bit of rain but I won't get my hopes up that much.


Last weekend I lost a filling from a tooth. So this week when  I went to the dentist, he asked me, " So what have you been doing for fun?" So this whole week since, I have been pondering, what do I do for fun? My thought, at the time was how do you answer that question with tools and plastic and the thing that blows air and water in your mouth. I just shook my head of course. How do I say, I blog, and I have met these wonderful people from all over the world, or say, I am a hooker, (rug hooker of course.) Or just waking up each morning is fun. Finding out that our library is going to be open and extra day and now on Saturdays too. Having a wonderful family and grand kids and a new chicken house and the leaves are changing that is all fun. I feel like sometimes, there is such a different me online than the me you see in real life.

I bought this pumpkin yesterday. I have never seen one this color before. I bought it just for seeds and I hope they aren't genetically modified. I am going to grow this if I can next year.


Isn't that an awesome pumpkin? See the little white one next to it? I am saving that ones seeds too. As I have bought pumpkins this year it as been for the color and shape and trying to get different kinds than from normal packs of seeds.

While I was taking pictures for this post, I thought I would show you what was really going on behind the scenes.


Linx the cat thought I should be taking her picture, she had been staring at me and then when I turned the camera on her she of course had to do the whole not interested thing.


Sasha of course wanted to be in every shot. She is of course acting like she really is looking at something out in the pasture and is not really aware she is in the way.


Then the dog and the cat have to walk around and inspect every thing. I finally gave up and stood there and waited for them to get tired of watching and following me.


I washed windows and cleaned flowerbeds this week. It is so nice to get to enjoy it a bit before the cold comes, but I do sit out here with a cup of coffee and watch the storms as they approach. I have visitors coming on Halloween. Batman, Ironman, Spiderman and the Hulk. I can't wait.

I hope you have a lovely weekend,

~Kim~

24 comments:

Nellie said...

Happy Saturday, Kim! I love your pumpkins and hope your seed-saving will give you the results you hope. I love the shots of Minx and Sasha. So indifferent when you give them the attention that they were just begging you to give them earlier.:-) Very typical.:-)

xo Nellie

TexWisGirl said...

i love that last shot - so inviting! :) laughing at your 'how do i explain' sentence about blogging - and hooking. ha!!

Christine said...

Hi Kim! That is one beautiful pumpkin! Hope it grows for you.
Your super heroes will definitely give you lots of fun this weekend!

Kim said...

You could tell the dentist that you are a hooker and you talk to strange people on the internet.......that would get his attention! Lol. I love those white pumpkins. I've never seen the other variegated kind before. Very cool. I hope you can grow some next year with the seeds

Vintage Gal said...

Love that pumpkin. I haven't seen one like this before. I hope the seeds grow for you. Have a fun happy fall day ;-)

Susan Kane said...

Your home is so lovely! The flowers and the pumpkins are a lovely addition.
I had a white pumpkin. I set it out in a patch of bare land to rot and hopefully send out some runners. There was one, pretty healthy one. But my husband thought it was a weed. So, it does sprout!

Debbie said...

I love your porch Kim and that awesome pumpkin!!

Kessie said...

I just love your pumpkins and mums! Now I'm going to be thinking about what I do for fun. I kind of feel like Mary Poppins: in every job that must be done, there is an element of fun. You find the fun, and snap--the job's a game.

Velva said...

Yea! To the cool weather. Love, love it too.

Julia said...

Your veranda looks so clean and those mums are sure making it inviting. Love that wooden wheelbarrow too.

I've never seen a pumpkin that color. I would imagine that it's a hybrid. You never can go wrong with planting the seeds. I hope that you get some nice pumpkins fro it.

I had to laugh at your attempts to explain to the dentist what you've been doing for fun.

I love the cool weather to work outside at the farm but I've had to neglect weeding my flower beds. I truly hope that next year I'll have more time to properly care for them.Lucky you for having super heros coming to your house. Make sure the camera is ready. We no longer get the kids on our street. I haven't even decorated for Halloween this year. Just not enough time.
Hugs,
JB

Nancy said...

I love this newsy post; so full of all the things you are doing that make you happy except of course the dentist.....

I love how your animals want to get in the picture then turn as if they're are not interested..and your porch is so inviting...I'd love to sit out there and have a chitter chat with you....By the way, have you put your chickens in the new coup yet?

Thistle Cove Farm said...

"What are you doing for fun?" Is that an actual OPTION?!
Who knew?! Although, today, Mary and I went to a woman's expo...lots of freebies, lots of chances to win something, most fun I've had, here, since before Dave died.

Sue said...

Love reading your odds and ends, Kim, your porch is so pretty, that is really a very unusual pumpkin, I hope you have luck with it, I am always saving seed of some sort. You sure know how to have fun, I love the attitude you have about life, one reason you are so special!
Hugs,
Sue

annie said...

I enjoyed this post, seems like you are the dog and cats fun! grin!

Jacque. said...

Kim, I absolutely love the way you see and think of things...and how you express yourself. xo

Dog Trot Farm said...

Hi Kim, I too am enjoying these beautiful Autumn days...Love your porch...pretty Autumn flowers in that wonderful old wheelbarrow... Now that is one good looking pumpkin, save me a seed!!! Hugs, Julie.

camp and cottage living said...

Kim
I like your pumpkins too. Hopefully the seed will be good.
I'm admiring your wheelbarrow. Did your hubby build it for you?
It looks so nice dressed for Fall on your porch.
Have fun with your Super Heroes! I'm going Trick or Treating with a couple of mine-can't wait.

Three Sheep Studio said...

Oh, so funny.
When my kids were young, I would actually "prep" them and talk with them about what they did over the summer - just so that they would have something interesting to say when the dentist asked "so what have you been doing this summer" !
Your fall decorations are lovely.
Rose

Pom Pom said...

I like your thoughts about "what we do for fun" and I completely agree with all your choices. Life IS fun and the simply pleasures are best.
I have never thought of growing fancy pumpkins! Great idea!
Your petty pets are very sweet. Sasha is a star and Lynx is GORGEOUS!
Have a lovely Sunday, sweet friend!

Kerin said...

Beautiful pictures from around your place.
Love those sweet pets of yours... they clearly love you too :)

Sounds like you are going to have a super fun Halloween.
Enjoy those guests :)

May this week be a fun week for you!

GretchenJoanna said...

I love your pumpkins. I also had a little white one on my front step, and next to it a bigger gnarly one, of which I put a picture on my blog a couple of weeks ago, and a gourd -- all three were stolen Saturday night! Weird, huh? That is the first theft I know of, in the 23 years we've been here...

Meg said...

That is the coolest pumpkin! I've never seen one like that either, not even in the seed catalogs.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Love you odds and ends. What an interesting pumpkin. I rarely see white pumpkins - never seen anything like that other one!

GretchenJoanna said...

I have to give an update about my stolen pumpkins. A few days after, I saw them on my neighbors' porch -- the really nice students. I suspect it was one of the (maybe drunken?) guests at their party the night before, who took them. Anyway, I walked up and took them back. :-)