Winter

Winter

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Busy Days

Our blueberries are really blooming now as is our berry vines. I am so excited to see those vines just filled with white blooms. My favorite cobbler in the world is berry cobbler.

The orange trees are covered in blooms too. Next door at my SIL's her purple wisteria is now covered in leaves but the locust tree that it grows in is now blooming and it is always hard for me to decide what smells better locust or wisteria.

I let my chickens out in the yard today. It has been awhile since they got to run around. I realized today I have turned into Dr. Frankenstein only my creations are with chickens and the little hens sitting on eggs.
I went to collect eggs last night and a little silkie hen had gone broody. The other silkie hen had four eggs in her nest so I grabbed her eggs and put them with the broody little silked. Now I have 4 hens sitting on eggs.
I don't know if all of them will hatch but some of them might. My first batch should hatch this week and every week until May if the 21 day incubation period is what I have counted on the calendar. I noticed today the hen who is sitting on the first batch to hatch had her head turned like she was listening to the eggs today. The chicks in the eggs start peeping before they get out. Most amazing thing I have ever witnessed in my life.

The traveling family left early this morning. The little kids were excited to go on the new adventure and their Grandma and Grandpa that live in Arizona have bought them a new bunk bed for their new bedroom and they are excited about getting to be with them tonight. They will move into their new place in the morning.

All is good today. Lots of hopes and dreams to live and lots of continuing adventures to be had.
I am of course very thankful today,
~Kim~

9 comments:

Miss Debbie said...

Lots going on in your house and in your yard! Know you will miss those moving away, but just think about the adventures you will have when you go to visit them!

Kim said...

Very nice pictures today. I hope your eggs all hatch. You need new chickies.
Smile :)

TexWisGirl said...

i hope the kids and their kids arrive safe and sound. it IS a new adventure! :)

dr. frankenstein. ha ha ha!

Pom Pom said...

I can't wait to see the chicks!
We have snow, so I DID get my snow day! Yay!

Beth said...

I hope that all of the eggs hatch!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

I am SO glad you and others keep chickens 'cause I like eggs! We're a ways from blooms but the days are warmer and I bought some pansies to put out. Spring...spring...is ***almost*** here...hurrah!

Debbie said...

awwww kim, your glass continues to overflow!!

Julia said...

Wishing safe trip to the kids on their new adventures, and that you get lots of home grown chicks. How fun is that?
It will be so rewarding to have succeeded. Nature is so wonderful.
How lucky to have things blooming at your place. I would like to jump on a plane and go visit you for a day.

All the best.
Hugs.
JB

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I've never smelled locust blooms. I too just love berry cobbler. Enough that now I'm thinking that maybe we should plant berry bushes instead of something ornamental in the easement behind our fence.