July

July

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Christmas Tree Project

I was reading about the weather in California. Yes, reading. We are having no weather. Clouds but no rain to speak of or even watch. It was so warm this morning I thought I was going to have to dig out my shorts.
Today is a 90 percent chance of rain. I must live in the 10 percent that is just going to watch the rain on T.V. Oh well. It was a nice day to work on a project.

Last Christmas I saw this on a blog called Into Vintage. I have thought about it for a whole year. So in November I started collecting Christmas Ornaments. One thing about living in a new house you don't have things like old screens laying around. I do have a handy-dandy scrap wood pile and being married to a man who sees treasure every where helps too. I told him what I wanted and let him think about it for a week or so and he came up with the perfect frame. Then we went to a hardware store before Thanksgiving and bought screen. When my husband was a young he worked in his Dad's auto upholstery shop so he knows so many nifty tricks. He got the screen on the frame and stretched tight. Yesterday I spent the day painting the wood black and then antique white. This morning I beat it up and sanded it so it looked old and then stained it with walnut stain.

We at first tried to use wire to attach the ornament to the screen but it didn't work to well so then we decided that crochet thread worked the best. I don't know how you would do this project by yourself, it took both of us to do it. It was very pleasant work though.

I thought it turned out just perfect. I bought all of the ornaments at the dollar store. The wood was out of the scrap pile I think the most expensive part was the screen. It was 3 dollars. The paint I used was from another project that cost 59 cents a bottle. I used two bottles. Of course, I thought that it might be fun to cut little holes in the screen and add tiny lights. Since this is the first version I will leave it alone.

One thing even though we have been married 32 years I still find things about my husband I didn't know. I was telling him about the crafts I made when I was a kid and I told him about making Christmas trees out of old Readers Digest magazines and he said he did too, every year. I thought that was just the nicest little surprise.

Thank you for stopping by today. I hope you are having a lovely day,
~Kim~

17 comments:

  1. Kim, love, love, love that tree. It looks so cute. I have seen them made with old costume jewelry on black velvet. Very blingy! But I need an explanation on the Readers Digest tree???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, you had me going for a while, I was imagining this tree with pink and yellow leaves all decorated with ornaments that you had collected but I couldn't figure how you would use the scraps of wood. I thought that you were making some wooden ornaments.

    I should have known better,lol...I love your little sparkly joyful little ornament tree and you both did a great job. You always come up with some something new. It just goes to prove that you don't have to spend lots of money to decorate.
    As Kim said, I never saw a Reader's Digest tree. Maybe you could show us what you mean.

    It's drizzling a bit here and the weather has warmed up. Hope that your weather man gives you some rain, We absolutely don't need more.
    Hugs.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is too darn cute!!! you crafty, handy people!

    i was SO hoping you were getting some of that much-needed rain for yourself! i'm sorry!

    i AM in shorts today. yesterday and today - low 80s

    ReplyDelete
  4. That ornament tree looks so sparkly! The girls are going to sit and long to touch it.

    Well, I think our rain is on it's way. It looks like it'll rain about 45 minutes, assuming it doesn't break up on the way here. It's sure getting dark out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Kim! Make one for me!! I love it!! What a nice project for you and your husband.

    Our weather is unseasonably warm currently, and will probably last through the week. Rain is expected on Tuesday/Wednesday.

    Enjoy your evening! xo Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is just great, love it!
    I used to make the readers digest trees too, and the ones made out of tooth picks Styrofoam balls, spray snow & glitter. Man, they sure stuck your fingers full of holes! Now I feel ancient just remembering that! I'd forgotten that! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool! I remember those Reader's Digest trees, too. One year my mom poked toothpicks into styrofoam balls and piled the balls up to make the shape of a tree and THEN sprayed it gold. Funny!
    I like your sparkly ornament tree very much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the project! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kim, what a great Christmas project, it looks amazing. You and the mister make quite a team...I dream of crafting, but cannot seem to find the time to fit it in...Once again I am playing blog catch up. I was glad to read that your trip to the eye doctor turned out well, minus the two cataracts. I hope your headaches greatly improve, hopefully wearing the new glasses will do the trick...Winter has arrived in Maine, it is cold and the landscape has turned white...thinking of you,Blessings... Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your project turned out beautifully!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a gorgeous project! I love it! And how nice that it was a nice project to work together with your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, I remember making Christmas trees out of magazines too! I hadn't thought about that since I made one when I was little. The ornament tree is just beautiful. Once again you are so clever. I love the bright Christmas colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good morning! Well we have got some rain...in fact, I heard it most of the night! I LOVE the Christmas tree project! But I love how you and your hubby worked it together more. : ) Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a mighty fine looking Christmas Tree! I love it! How cute about the Reader's Digest trees! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is great...and you always inspire me to put my hand to something new!
    Weather...well it has been in the 80's here...warm December and no rain!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog.
Think of this as coming onto my porch and having
a visit.