I had some thoughts on my 54th year.
1. I really can't be this old. Wasn't it yesterday when I was climbing trees, having dirt clod fights and riding my horses.
2. My parents had a prune tree. I thought they were plums. I ate 10, Don't go shopping after consuming prunes. Things you learn in life.
3. When I turned 12 my step-mom told me that the sooner I learned that the world did not revolve around me, the happier I would be, It seems I keep trying to learn this, but on my birthday, it always reminds me that really that was true advice. No matter how it still hurts.
4. Age does not bring wisdom. If anything it reveals that I haven't learned anything and really now the world knows for sure, I really was an idiot.
5. At this age, the best thing in my life are other people. Not how much stuff I have.
6. Learning that the best thing is having a gentle and quiet spirit, because walking past mirrors is a shock.
7. I am glad that my husband says it would be too much hard work to train another one. He is very happy with me.
8. My view now, is on eternity. It is closer than my twenties are now. At least I know lots more people up there.
9. Really at this age, I am scared of just talking about my visits to the doctor, my aches and pains, and not being about to get up out of a chair. How did it come to this? If I start that you have my permission to slap me up side the head.
10. What is the thing about " aging gracefully?" I am going to fight it with every fiber in my being and I don't mean eating for cereal in the morning.
11. I can say that in these 54 years, God has given me trials and joys and in the midst of life peace. He promised to never leave me nor forsake me. He has promised to be with my when I passed through the fires and the floods and they never washed over me. He has kept my feet like a hinds feet, firm on the Rock.
He has told me "No," and always showed me a better path. He has always been there even when I turned my back on Him. I am thankful most of all for the hand of God that has guided my life these 54 years, and when the time comes for me to change my residence I know He will guide me home.
I have been given a life full of dreams. For the most part has kept me surprised. I guess I ask for the next 20 years, He would continue to give me joy in all of the circumstances I find myself, and a life with chicks to fill my days.
So May, here you are and here I am, I guess we will make it through together.