Winter

Winter

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Today In The Garden

This morning I found a baby artichoke in the middle of the plant. It is really about the size of a 50 cent piece.
I didn't think we would get any off of the two plants we planted in January. I am so happy to see this one.

We worked in the garden until about 11:30 this morning. It feels like July instead of April 22. The kids are swimming in the pool that is how warm it is right now. We will have snow in the mountains by Wednesday.

I wanted to show you some pictures of how the Field of Dreams changes bit by bit.

My husband started plowing between the berry vines first. He planted them far enough apart this year so that he could get the plow between the rows. While he drives the tractor I hula-hoe all of the weeds that he can't get to with his tractor.

He had got this much done when I remembered to take the picture. After the rain from last weekend, you can't believe the weeds that were coming up. My husband was reading a Bonsai book this week and the author said that when you are getting dirt for your Bonsai to make sure weeds are growing in it. If weeds aren't growing, then neither will your Bonsai. I liked that so much it made me happy to know something nice about weeds.

This is part of the berries and the artichoke plants. Way at the back is his Bonsai trees that he had growing in the ground. It was starting to get really hot out there so we had to stop.

I have to say this is my favorite row. Do you know why? It will be my sunflower rows. It will have some corn and potatoes in it too, but lots and lots of sunflowers. I have some more rows for sunflowers but for some reason this one is my favorite. Well, of coarse  the place were my pumpkin patch will be.

 I love standing and looking at this and taking pictures of it,  because to me it is blank canvas waiting to be painted on, what ever I dream out here can become a reality. I have loved this land since I was 4 years old. All of it is filled with dreams, past and present. Not many people get to go back to the place that when they were children and dreamed of putting white fences around it and planting trees and taking care of it. I am glad I married a man who shared the same dreams. Today we were looking at it after he finished and he said, "Dreams really do come true." They do, it might take awhile as in our case 20 years, but I am so thankful.

Thank you letting me share my field of dreams with you.
~Kim~

21 comments:

Kim said...

It is so exciting to see your garden start. I knew your favorite row would be the sunflowers :) I am excited to watch your dreams grow.
The artichoke plant is cool. I only ever seen an artichoke in the grocery store. (Or in a jar)
Have a great week.

TexWisGirl said...

i love your field. whether it is green, plowed, planted or harvesting. :)

Pom Pom said...

Hi Kim! Oh, it looks fantastic! I can't wait to compare this picture with a summer picture. You guys worked so hard! I bet you're tired! Rest!

Meg said...

Yay! It gets bigger every year... I just picked two artichokes off our plant and we're having them for dinner, and we found 6 more getting ready...

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Your plowing brings back childhood memories. My father used to run a University Extension Farm and I used to ride with him on the tractor while he was plowing. This will be my first time of following your gardens and I am crazy for Sun Flowers, so I can't wait to see yours. And I love artichokes ... never thought about growing them. You must live in an area where the weather is right for them. How exciting ... I love your blog.

Andrea @ From The Sol
http://www.fromthesol.blogspot.com

Alica said...

Your garden is beautiful, even without a lot growing in it yet. I just showed it to my daughter, and she said "That's big!" :) Have fun!! Can't wait to see those sunflowers!

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I can't believe how big the garden is. I'm glad I got to see the before picture. Now I can't wait to see the after. Oh, the baby artichoke is darling. My Italian grandmother made stuffed artichokes and boy were they delicious.

Kris said...

Man that just makes me drool! Having that big open space and the tractor to play with. You are so blessed. I can't wait to see it all filled with vegetables.

Miss Debbie said...

"it made me happy to know something good about weeds"...I love that! It made me smile! That's a big garden... hope it produces well for you!

Sue said...

I just love your "Field Of Dreams Kim, your soil looks so rich. The facts about the Bonsai plants is so interesting, wouldn't it be wonderful if that applied to all plants, especially when we have to hoe them in 90+ temps. lol ,......and dreams really do come true!
A beautiful place you have. We didn't get outside today as it is raining and temps. were in the 50's. brrr!! that is for me, but not dh. lol Expecting the same weather tomorrow, I think it be a good time to visit some sweet folks in the Nursing home near by as I haven't been lately because we have been so busy.
Enjoy your day tomorrow,
Hugs,
Sue

Jacque. said...

Wow...that is so huge! Love when it's full of plants. Love your sunflowers the best. Have fun!

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Your field of dreams will be changing from a blank canvas before you know it! It will be fun to watch all the changes :)

moosecraft said...

Wow! Now THAT's what I call a garden! :-)

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

I so enjoy following your field of dreams...and the dream shared by your hubby also...and a place where family was before...what a heritage,...it looks wonderful

Empty Nester said...

I'm so glad you share your field of dreams with us! I honestly believe that I was lacking before I found your blog. I enjoy the way you weave your words in such a poetic way and leave me feeling as though I am right there weeding with you and walking along soaking in the beauty of your fields! My sunflowers are growing a little bit every day! They will be my most favorite things about the garden this year. Well, that and the pumpkins. ;)

Ruby and Arthur said...

Lovely post, hope your gardening dreams come true! Jean

Debbie said...

so much work kim, but so very rewarding!!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Wow, your garden is huge! I'm wondering ... if we don't have a dog next spring, maybe we could have a garden. Hmmmmmm (But it won't be anywhere close to as big as yours!)

Nellie said...

You know how to keep yourself busy in the summertime.:) The garden really dictates your every move - almost.:) Our potatoes, planted the last Friday in March, have come up, and we have set out tomatoes, squash, and zucchini. For some reason, spinach doesn't seem to do very well for us, but we have some seedlings out, hoping for the best from them. Happy planting! xoxo

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

Hi Kim:
I've missed 'my farm visits' and this was a great one to return to. I love that row too, it is full of promise and the hope of what is to come!
:)

Dog Trot Farm said...

What a magnificent blank canvas. So much work, but how rewarding. The only thing planted in my little garden are peas and spinach. I look forward to following along as your garden expands and blooms. Hugs from Maine, Julie.