Winter

Winter

Monday, December 26, 2011

Monday Morning



I wanted to tell you, that we never have snow. Once
14 years ago. The pictures that I have posted are from
my hard drive. This one is something I grabbed off of Google.
I seem to be obsessed with snow pictures this year. Just like
in the summer it is water.

We had a lovely Christmas, but I am real glad it is over. Getting
sick on November 21st and staying sick the whole month of December
colors my perception of things. I didn't get anything done I thought I
would.

I thought I would tell you about my day on December 23rd.
It was the first day of my husband's vacation. We had a
lovely morning and he left to run some errands and I was
going to finish my baking, so that on the 24th I wouldn't be
tired and I could enjoy everything.

I ran dishwater in the sink and I had been looking at my cookbook
in my office and I turned the water off in the sink, and walked to my office.
My husband had returned from his shopping trip just a bit before.
I walked into the kitchen, and saw water gushing from my laundry room
into the kitchen.

I had just left and the water was already a inch deep! I grabbed dishtowels to
stop the water from getting to my cabinets and my furniture. We couldn't tell where
it was coming from we didn't know if a pipe had broke in the attic or what.
My husband went outside and turned the water off while we were trying to mop
enough water up to get to the hot water heater. It was the hot water heater.

We called a repair man but it was December 23rd. They told us they could send
someone between 5:00 and 8:00 pm. My husband is very handy, he said, " He thought
he could change the hot water heater out himself." Which he did and the repairman
showed up just as my husband was going to attach the gas line.

So here is the really good part that I am so thankful for,
1. The hot water heater broke when I was in the kitchen instead of say,
2:00 in the morning.
2. My husband was home. In normal life he isn't and he works at least 30 minutes away.
3. All of the boys were home to help.
4. My daughter used to work at Home Depot, so she was able to go get parts.
5. It wasn't Christmas Eve when we were having lots of people.
6. Nothing was hurt by all of the water.
7. We now have a very nice hot water heater, a very clean water closet.
8. The repair man showed up, just as the gas line was getting attached, he looked
over my husbands installation and said it was good. He was also overjoyed he didn't
need to put in a hot water heater and was getting to go home. He only charged us for
the service call which I thought was so nice. He also gave us the gas line and didn't charge
us for it.

So all and all it was a good day. Then though my newest grand daughter came down
with what I thought was chicken pox but maybe was Roseola. So my daughter and
her family didn't get to come so we were sad about that but it worked out.

December 25 was a nice quiet day and today, is nice and quiet too.
It was all good and I am a pretty happy camper all in all.

I am ready to bring on the New Year!
Have a great day too.
~Kim~

18 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

so glad your hot water heater disaster worked out so well! i, like you, try to find all the blessings in a situation when disaster strikes! :)

TexWisGirl said...

p.s. love your chickies.

NanaNor's said...

Dear Kim, I'm so thankful that the water didn't ruin everything and that you were home to divert a disaster. Sounds like it was a blessing. Loved hearing about the rest of your weekend; I've been fighting a cold so understand if you aren't totally up to your normal energy level. Blessings on your day.
Noreen

Florence said...

May you feel God's peace and know that he is always with you and gives you strength. Hugs! Florence

Empty Nester said...

I am so sorry about you being sick for so long and then having the hot water heater burst like that on December 23! ARGH!!! But I LOVE that you can see the positive about it all! I try to do that but am not always successful in my efforts.

I love to get snow but we get it about as often as y'all do. I just keep hoping. Every. Single. Year.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about you being ill since Thanksgiving... that generally is my fate every year, but for the first time in many years, I'm not... so thankful for that. Hoping you get your strength back soon and thankful your disaster was averted!

Julia said...

All is well that ends well. I'm glad that everything didn't go the Murphy's Law way this time around. I'm sorry about the grand kid being sick over Christmas.

We had a big bull calf born on Christmas day but thankfully he was born early enough in the afternoon so that we could join the rest of the family at dinner at my daughter's place at 7:00pm.

Bring on the New Year. Hugs. JB

Jacque. said...

WOW...the way things work, hey? God loves you, Kim. As do I.

Christine said...

What a thing to happen so close to Christmas but aren't you so good to be able to count your blessings all the same!
Hope you get to enjoy a more peaceful end to the year!

camp and cottage living said...

Kim
Oh my. You are fortunate it happened when it did. I have had so many 'money guzzler' mishaps this last month I'm just burying them out of my mind.
So glad a fun Christmas was had after all.
Happy New Years!

Homeschool on the Croft said...

There's always so much to be thankful for in our 'mini disasters'.... Yes, that could have been a *lot* worse.

Blessings x

Kim said...

Only you could find the silver lining in a kitchen disaster 2 days before Christmas. But that is why we love you :)

Debbie said...

Wow...your right..lucky it happened when it did. The last of my family just left a couple of hours ago, and while it was all just wonderful, the quiet is sounding good right now. ; ) HUGS

Debbie said...

well kim....the glass is always half full and that my dear friend is why i love you!!

and the new snowflakes are awesome!!

Pom Pom said...

Yikes! I'm glad it's all fixed now!
Your chickens are cute.
You can have some of the snow in my garden. I am dreaming of tulips!

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

You are always so positive Kim. The next time something goes wrong at my house, I must remember it could be a lot worse.

Sue said...

I am so sorry to read about all of these mishaps, KIm, but was so encouraged , and inspired by how you took these lemons and not only made lemonade, but cherry lemonade. I am always so blessed by your thankful heart. You inspire me in more ways that you know.
I am so glad you are feeling better. I empathize with you it was in january that I got the flu and was sick for over a month.
love,
Sue

senses of soul said...

so glad with snow.. moment the down of snow so awesome.its not here(malaysia)