Winter

Winter

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Letter To My Daughter


To my dear daughter,

Happy Birthday! How can it be that you are thirty?
It seems like just yesterday the doctor looked up and at
me and said, " It's a girl!" Oh, how I longed for a girl.
I had talked to you the whole time you were nestled beneath
my heart. You have given me such joy since that first day
I knew I would be a Mommy.



For Thirty years, I am sorry you were the test child on every
single idea that I had, I am also sorry that you received my inexperience
and my anger. Often I hope that my love for you made up for all of my
many mistakes.
I shudder to think how hard I was on you that first year of home schooling.
How much I expected of you and how high the bar was that I had for you
to jump.



Now I watch you with your own children and I am so glad you are a better
mother than I was, you are a better wife and I realize that in every way
you have exceeded anything I ever dreamed.
But most of all,
I am thankful that you were my first baby, that you are a now my
friend.
Have a lovely day, my girl,
Happy Birthday,
Mom

20 comments:

Debbie said...

so heartfelt, so beautiful. happy birthday to your baby girl!!!

Pom Pom said...

My oldest baby is thirty, too. How wonderful to be thirty year mamas. Hasn't it flown by?
Happy birthday to your good girl!

Kim said...

Happy Birthday to your first Baby. You know, she didn't learn how to be such a great woman on her own.....She learned it by watching her Mommy.

Julia said...

Aww what a heart warming letter to your daughter. What a sweet thing to do. Happy Birthday to your daughter. You may have been firm but you must have done something right because of the way she turned out. Your love must have overshadowed your firmness and all is well. Hugs, JB

Kessie said...

Aww, thanks Mom. I love you, too. Funny, I don't remember you being excessively hard on me. I was always harder on myself than you ever were. :-)

Will and Tracy said...

Sweet Kim, she certainly has always been the apple of her Aunt Tracy's eye

Travel With Lulu said...

What a heartfelt letter. I can't imagine what mine will look like when my kiddos turn 30 - surely they'll never grow up that big?! XOLaura

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

It would be so wonderful if every daughter could receive such a birthday wish from her mom! This is heartwarmingly beautiful. :)

xo

Happy 30th birthday!

Empty Nester said...

Oh Kim, you said that beautifully. I think about my first precious little girl and think about how she was the guinea pig. It's a good thing that, ultimately, God is in control. Happy Birthday to your lovely!

Tami AKA My Kid's Mom said...

Your words to you daughter echo my own feelings for mine. Every time I look at her I see the precious little baby that was given to me.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

What a wonderfully sweet tribute to your birthday girl. It warmed my heart. Here's sendin' her belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

God bless and have an incredible day!!! :o)

reba said...

What a sweet letter to your daughter. Daughters are very special but then so are sons. Happy Birthay to your daughter. Blessings.

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Precious, precious post. I wrote a letter to my son when he turned 25 expressing some of the same things...well first born survive, "I am one" and they always hold a special place in our hearts because they are our first born. Mine will be 28 next month.

Happy Birthday to both daughter and mother!!

Sue said...

A very Happy Birthday wish to your firstborn daughter, Kim, and what a very sweet post you have written!
Hugs,
Sue

Silver Strands said...

Happy birthday to your sweet daughter! AND love the pictures with this post :)

Patrice said...

This is such a lovely letter. I'm teared up. Happy Birthday and many blessings to Kessie!

Lynn said...

Sweet, sweet post :) I love the fall look of your blog these days -- such lovely orange colors :) Happy sigh.

myletterstoemily said...

this is the best birthday any girl could ever hope for!
i pray she is blessed beyond measure this year.

Dog Trot Farm said...

Kim what a lovely heartfelt post, Happy Birthday to your sweet daughter! Hugs, Julie.

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

What a wonderful birthday tribute to your daughter. I have tears in my eyes. You gave captured what every mom would want to say.