Winter

Winter

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Pumpkin Pie


I am going to make this pumpkin pie.
I always do all of my baking on Wednesday.
I am going to brine my turkey using my daughter-in-love
recipe .
We were thinking about smoking the turkey but
I think I will just cook it the normal way in the oven.
It is supposed to be cold that day so I didn't want everyone
having to be outside.

Here is the recipe for the above pie.

Double Layer Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients

  • 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 pinch ground cloves
  • 1 pinch ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Blend in eggs one at a time. Remove 1 cup of batter and spread into bottom of crust; set aside.
  3. Add pumpkin, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg to the remaining batter and stir gently until well blended. Carefully spread over the batter in the crust.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until center is almost set. Allow to cool, then refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight. Cover with whipped topping before serving.
I always fix Chocolate cream pies and pumpkin and I am trying to kill two birds with
one stone by fixing a double layer pumpkin cheese cake.


I love this old image of the Pilgrims. One of the things
I think has been a disservice to our children is that
they have been taught in school about the Pilgrims
and the Puritans, I thought they
were the same. They weren't the Pilgrims were willing
to take a chance for the freedom to worship the way they
saw fit.
The Puritans wanted to stay in the Church of England and purify
it from within. In school we kind of lump the Pilgrims and Puritans
with the Salem Witch trials. Which is all taken out of context.
So it always makes me sad because really the story of the Pilgrims
is quite a interesting story. The Puritans were a bit legalistic.
The first time I read about what really happened and why those
people took such a chance to come here to worship God, I just cried
because God did such miracles to get them here.

My favorite books on the subject are The Light and The Glory by
Peter J. Marshall and David Manuel

I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow.
Kim

12 comments:

Patrice said...

The pie looks yummy! I hadn't remembered the difference between pilgrims and puritans until I read this.My older girls have read the book. Hope you're feeling a bit stronger. Take care.

Kessie said...

Man, that looks really good. I'm glad everybody's making variations on the same old same old. Keeps things interesting!

Hey, Pioneer Woman made a good point about brining a turkey. If it's frozen, check it because it's probably been injected with a saline solution, and a real salty brine will make the meat too salty. So you might want to dial back the salt in the brine a little. Just something I've been thinking about. Hope you're feeling better!

Wonky Girl said...

Your pie photo caught my eye. Gonna bake one for our TG dinner, thanks for posting recipe.
Did not know about Puritans, good clarification.

TexWisGirl said...

boy oh boy that cheesie/pie/cake looks good! No need for whipped cream on that one! :)

Your D-I-L put up a wonderful post. Congrats to all of you for joining your families! :)

Jacque. said...

ohmygosh...not fair for you to post such delish-looking food! {grin} Hope you're feeling better!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

I believe one of my greatest joys of home schooling has been my own education! I hope my children also learned some of the real truth along the way with my teaching.

Oh I cook a pumpkin cheese cake. I think I am going to try to make pies in a jar...I saw it and it looked great...we will see

Hope you are feeling better...we are suppose to have a cold front by Thanksgiving...right now we are still in the 70's
Blessings!!

Debbie said...

The pie sounds delish...I "might" try it too. I just read your previous post too, WOW...when it rains it pours, haha...Hope you are having a wonderful week-end. HUGS

Razzberry Corner said...

I just might have to try this pie, too! Thanks for the recipe!

Tulip said...

I've been offline due to cataclysmic computer failure but when I return to your site, what do I find? PIE!!!!

Verde Farm said...

The pie looks amazing. I bet your house will smell so good this week :)
You are right--the stories of pilgrims and puritans are both very interesting and very different. Certainly more than the salem witch trials. Love that pilgrim picture :)
Gobble, gobble, Amy

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Yum, the pie looks wonderful. We've been invited to friends and I'm baking a chocolate pecan chess pie and a toasted coconut chess pie.
Happy Thanksgiving!

K @ Aurora Blythe said...

Oh my, how divine that pie looks! I love the history you shared with your post. Awesome blog! =)