Winter

Winter

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Stuff I was Thinking About


I don't know why I ponder stuff like I do but I do think
about trials and my response to them. I was reading in my
Streams of The Desert and it is one of the selections I love
because it amazes me.

"A bar of steel worth five dollars, when wrought into horseshoes,
is worth ten dollars. If made into needles, it is worth three
hundred and fifty dollars; if into penknife blades, it is worth
Thirty-two thousand dollars, into springs for watches it is worth
two hundred and fifty thousand dollars. What drilling the poor bar must undergo
to be worth this! But the more it is manipulated, the
more it is hammered, and passed through the fire, beaten and
pounded and polished, the greater the value.
May this parable help us to be silent, still, and long-suffering.
Those who suffer most are capable of yielding most; and it is
through pain that God is getting the most out of us, for His glory and the
blessing of others."
(selected)

Then today, as I was reading in John 11:1-6 It is the part of scripture that
talks about the letter Jesus receives from Mary and Martha. John wants us
to know that it is the Mary who anointed the feet of Jesus and used her hair
to wipe it away. The sisters tell their friend Jesus that the one that he loves is
sick.
I have always pondered why Jesus just didn't speak a word and heal Lazarus,
why didn't Jesus rush back and comfort the family. It says, that Jesus tarried
for two days longer, because He wanted God to be glorified and for God's
glory.

But today as I was reading it what jumped out at me was the simple phase,
in verse 5 Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus.
I kept thinking about it all day, Jesus loved them, John wants us to know
deep in our hearts, that this was love. Not that anyone did anything wrong,
not that someone was out of God's will, not because Jesus couldn't. It was
for the simple reason that they would all see the glory of God.

As I kept pondering the faith it takes to jump from waiting to trusting.
I know that Mary and Martha waited, as their brother got sicker and sicker
and then the moment when he died, I bet they felt unloved and forsaken
and very alone. I bet they doubted everything they had heard Jesus teach.
I bet the were angry too.
I think you see it when Mary remains sitting in the house, but Martha runs
to Him while He is still far off. It has been 4 very long days. I am sure there
are no more tears. I imagine they are exhausted from sorrow.

But still Jesus waits for Martha to reach out from the fiber of all that she believes
to trust Him. I think one of the most profound moments in scripture is when
Jesus says to move the stone, Martha does not want to trust Him, but He reminds
her of what He has just said, " Do you not want to see the glory of God?
Then He calls Lazarus.
Do you ever wonder about that scene, He must have had at least 100 pounds
of spices wrapped in the grave clothes. Was he sad to come back? Did he ever tell
his grand kids about the time he died and what it felt to come back?
Did he tell people what he saw?


I think so often my responses are like Martha's I want my own comfort, before I
want to see the glory of God. I want my life and those I love to have it easy and
trial free. But because God wants me to know that it is for my good and His glory,
He chooses to wait. I must have that place in my life to take that leap into trusting
and doing what He says, I must let Him open that tomb of my life, so I can
have a new life come out into the light of day.

I have been thinking about that and the more I read it over and over, I see
so many ways that Jesus still calls me Martha, Martha when I want my own
way instead of Mary who got the best part.
Just things I was thinking about and thought I would share them with
you. Have a great Tuesday!

Oh, that men would give thanks to the Lord for His goodness, for His wonderful works to the children of men!

(Psalm. 107:6)

14 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

Wonderful post. Much to think about - or "ponder" as you say. Grief and pain are powerful forces to push against our faith.

Karen said...

Gail, good thoughts; HE desires for us to think on HIM. I could not help but think about the price of the OIL, when you compared the price of the steel and what all it could do and was worth. Have a blessed day, my friend.
Remember, that verse, "whatsoever is lovely, pure.... think on these things". (my translation):))

Anonymous said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You :-)

~Ron

Julia said...

Kim, this is a great scripture to ponder on. You are so deep girl . You ponder, contemplate and discern and that how you find the answer. I love your post and it makes so much sense to me. I'm the Martha of the world, always seeing that everything is as it should be and leave nothing to chance but that's how I was created. I think it's because I take responsibility for a lot of things. Thanks so much for this post. JB

Kent Island Red said...

Hey Kim,
Julia is right. You ARE deep!..and insightful! In fact, this post hits very close to home for me and I'm going to try to send you an e-mail tonight to talk about it further. Have a great day :-)

myletterstoemily said...

the reason you are such a great writer is that you
are a deep thinker. i love that about you.

thank you for so much to ponder.

love,
lea

Kessie said...

Those are some good thoughts. I never thought about how Jesus loved them, so he let them go through the waiting. The Streams story about the bar of steel blessed me, too. :-)

mariel said...

THAT is a WORD, girl! "because God wants me to know that it is for my good and His glory,
He chooses to wait." AMEN AMEN!! in the current trials that the Lord has my family in, I am so encouraged to know it IS for MY good and HIS glory!! Otherwise not a moment would be worth it! He is so faithful through it all and to use it all that EVERY. SINGLE. TRIAL is worth it!!

Miss Debbie said...

Beautifully written with powerful and meaningful insight. You touched my heart today.

Unknown said...

Streams in the Desert is my favorite devotional. I love the writings every day, and it always has such comfort and wisdom. I always believe that He takes our brokenness and works through us to feed others. Your words have surely fed so many. Lovely to meet you.
Karen

Verde Farm said...

Kim, great post. You're a deep thinker and it translates into your writing. You have a gift for this and we are all lucky you share it with us :)
Amy

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Kim...well I had a hard time getting past the Streams illustration...WOW!! what an awesome word. Then I followed your pondering, and again, said...that is an awesome word.
I think your pondering is what streams said, "the more it is manipulated....the greater the value".
Your pondering is manipulating, pounding...etc. and at the end you have a thing of great value...stronger understanding of His Word
Blessings

Simple Home said...

Our pastor just talked about this passage a few weeks ago. It strikes a cord with all of us I guess. I know I'm all too often like Martha instead of Mary. I'm glad God understands this too. Wonderful post Kim!
Blessings,
Marcia

Janean said...

wow, kim. we have been in a *waiting pattern* for seven months (seems like 7 years) and He keeps saying from His Word, *wait (some more)* and in the meantime we cultivate deeper trust and hope that it'll be a better ending than we can imagine.

thank you for obeying the Spirit.