Winter

Winter

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Thankful Thursday


This is my first Thankful Thursday post of August.
I hate to admit that I find it hard to be thankful in August.
The heat has made me grouchy, my creative ability's have
flown out the window. My garden doesn't look like this anymore.
It is full of weeds, yep, end to end. I thought, well, what can
I do to get my mind off of self-centered me.

One of the things that I love and it is a poem by Annie Johnson Flint.
If you read Streams in the Desert it is the entry for today. I first heard
it when I was listening to a message by a lady named Darlene Deibler Rose.
She was a prisoner in a Japanese prison camp during WW ll. I first heard it when I was a brand new Christian. She wrote a book a few years later.
I wanted that kind of faith. I wanted to be able to see God in
all of my circumstances.

When I got the book I read it over and over. She
has this poem that she used in her life and I loved
it so much that I memorized it too.
It is called He Giveth

He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength when the labors increase;
To added affliction He addeth His mercies,
To multiplied trials His multiplied peace.

When we have exhausted our store of endurance
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our Father's full giving is only begun.

His love has no limit, His grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
He giveth and giveth and giveth again.

Whenever I have exhausted my strength and the day
is half done, I will sit and say it to myself, and it makes
me remember how often God has shown me how He
has given and given and given again.

So today, I am so thankful for the people who have gone
on ahead and that I am surrounded by such a great cloud
of witnesses that I can run with endurance this race set out
before me.
So when I am grouchy, I can remember that I can choose
to be grouchy and grumpy or I can be thankful and happy
that I really do have so much to be thankful for today.
Happy Thursday!

Oh, that men would give thanks to the Lord for His goodness, for His wonderful works to the children of men!

(Psalm. 107:6)

3 comments:

Simple Home said...

What a beautiful and comforting poem Kim. Thanks so much for sharing it. This sounds like a book I'd love to read.
Blessings,
Marcia

Kessie said...

I love that poem. I didn't know it was by Darlene Rose.

I tend to gripe a lot, too, on Thursdays when I'm tired and have lots of work to do. I'll try to be thankful, though! Must update blog!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the reminder to get my mind off the self-centered me. I know I can always do that by reading your blog! Your creativity comes through in your written words and I am always encouraged when I visit. August means fall is that much closer ;)