Winter

Winter

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Rug Hooking


Since I first started writing a blog, I have wanted
a button that said "10 Minute Rug Hooker." So last week
when I finally signed up and got to put one on the side
of my blog, I knew I had to finally put the petal to the metal.
I bought this pattern in 2002, I bought the rug hook and then
life got busy and I put it away. I would dig it out and stare
at it and think I want to do this someday.

In the fall of last year, I had read every book, read blogs and
decided maybe if I bought an easy kit I could learn to hook. I bought
a kit from Yankee Peddler and made my very first rug.

I enjoyed it so much and I was so excited to start another one.
But I had made a promise to myself that I will not buy anything until
I finish what I have.

So I have stared at this rug. I don't really like it anymore but I decided
that since it is almost impossible to find wool in my town and after having
my charge card stolen 4 times, yep, in one year, the last time I hadn't even
used it and it was the replacement card. I was not going to charge anything
on the internet. So it had to be something I could buy here.

Then I started reading about Amy Oxford and her punch needle and I could
use yarn with a punch needle so for my birthday my husband bought me one.
I stared at the rug some more. Then did counted cross stitch. Oh and started
making that Raggedy Ann Quilt.

Last week I was reading my hooking thing I get every day in my email box and there was a
sign up for a new 10 minute rug hooker starting. I found it and figured out how to
get the button on and got out my wool yarn, and my Oxford Punch Needle.

As far as I can tell unless I go to L. A. I am about the only one I know of who
does rug hooking in my town... How come Oxford Needle punch is supposed to be like
rug hooking. Okay,I digress, maybe someone out there can tell me. Hint, hint
Cotton Eyed Joe??
Anyway here is my first attempt, but as I was writing this, my rug was on the floor
and my dog came in and chewed out a couple rows of yarn.

Here are my humble attempts. I remember reading that Pat Cross said, her first
rug must have weighed a ton because she didn't know about the different weights
of wool and I am beginning to think that once mine is finished it will hold the house
down in case of a earthquake.
So here are my pictures and because using a Oxford Punch needle you work from the
back side the patten it looks like it does. Well, I hope that is why.
I have read my book over and over and that is how it makes sense to me.
Anyway, my 10 minutes turn into 2 hours if I am not careful. I enjoy it so much
and already my mind races ahead to when I can do a pattern I like. I thought
I would post these pictures so mainly I could get free advice. Like give it up girl,
just grow flowers. :) Just kidding.

Here is with the pattern side up. It looks okay from far
away. It sure is fun.
So I guess all of this post to say, I am very happy to be
a 10 minute rug hooker.
Have a great Wednesday!

Oh, that men would give thanks to the Lord for His goodness, for His wonderful works to the children of men!

(Psalm. 107:6)

8 comments:

Meg said...

I still laugh and laugh about the time you told me you wanted to be a hooker and get the button. I'm glad you finally got one. ;)

I can't wait to see that finished! It looks very nice so far and is going to be so cute!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

You know what they say...you can eat an elephant one bite at a time. It's going to be beautiful!

myletterstoemily said...

oh wait, i just read meg's comment. ha ha!!!!

your rug will be just beautiful! be sure to show
us when you're finished.

and please don't be a hooker. you're such a great
beekeeper. :)

Sue said...

Hi Kim,
It has been so long and I have so missed you, I haven't been blogging because of family being home and of traveling. It has been a busy summer, how about you? I love it that your hands are always busy creating, and most of all that you enjoy what you are doing.I think you will make a beautiful rug hooker, and your pattern is so pretty. Thank you for thinking of me and for stopping by. Now that family has left, I will be busy with apples ,pears, and grapes.and trying to catch up on things that I let go. lol.
It has been good to have our daughter and granddaughters for the summer.
Hope your day is filled with many more blessings. I just love your new blog design, I need to redo mine soon.
Hugs,
Sue

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh when you were procrastinating about hooking. I have done exactly the same thing! First, I had to have a frame and hook- then a pattern and wool, then scissors, then a stand. I even got a Townsend cutter. Finally, after 6 months, I have started hooking, very, very slowly. I have traveled east and west of where I live looking for supplies to no avail. Looks like the internet is going to be my supplier. I even bought a Oxford Punch Needle!!! Haven't tried it yet though. I wonder if it is fear of failure. Am so pleased with your project choice. I feel like the little train - " I think I can, I think I can..."

Rug Cleaning said...

I can't wait to see you finish it. I know it would be beautiful.

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Kim~ Your oxford punch is coming along nicely. I admit I don't get the whole punch looks like rug hooking either. I have done both and enjoy doing both.

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

I haven't done either punch or hook in years!!!!!!! I did it in high school and early married years! I had a large rug, it was Noah's Ark...it was for my first born's room...it didn't get finished.
I can't wait to see yours finished...that looks like soooooooo much fun...another thing to put on my to do list!!!