Winter

Winter

Friday, July 9, 2010

Friday Ramblings


I made 20 jars today of zucchini relish. I was amazed
that off of two plants I could get 20 jars. The one thing
I enjoy about making this is you chop up your vegetables
the day before and sprinkle salt over it and put it
in the fridge until the next day, when you rinse it
and make your vinegar base and cook the vegetables
with your base for five minutes and put it into hot jars,
then water bath it for 5 minutes and you are done.

As I was cooking it today and then ladling it into the jars,
I realize that of all of the many things I do each day,
canning food to me is the best feeling of joy. I have such
a feeling of accomplishment I don't think is like anything
else I do. The sweet feeling that comes from planting the
seed, watching it grow and then harvesting and preparing and
then finally getting it into the jar. But then when the kids
open a jar and say, " I could eat this with a spoon!" I am
never happier.
I am so thankful that I grew up with women who spent their
summers working to provide for their families. It is something
of a legacy that I value very deeply. I think that is why
I collect blue canning jars because they tell a story and they remind
me of sacrifice of ages past.

You know now what this means? Now I have to clean my pantry to
get it ready for this years canning stuff.
I hope you have a lovely Friday!

Oh, that men would give thanks to the Lord for His goodness, for His wonderful works to the children of men!

(Psalm. 107:6)

2 comments:

Kessie said...

Wow, that is a ton of relish! I think the next jam I make is going to be strawberry. I just need a few more jars. :)

Jacque. said...

Oh, Kim...those jars look lovely! I used to can and so enjoyed it. Will look forward to seeing more of your harvest.