Winter

Winter

Friday, January 8, 2010

New Sunflowers


If you know me, you know that I am nutty about sunflowers. My dream is to have bunches and bunches of sunflowers. I like them because as a cut flower they last forever. Imagine to my surprise in the old leftover leaves what is coming up but sunflowers. It makes me so happy, because I know that when I am sickest of winter, I will have sunflowers there to make me happy. I think that is what I love about gardening is there is always some surprise waiting around the corner.
I love Fridays and this one I have so much planned, who knows if I will get it all finished. I started hooking a rug, and I find I want to sit and do that all day. I went to some rug hooking blogs and they have this neat little button that says something like "15 minute hooker." I wanted it so bad, but have not ever hooked a rug. So my goal is to start hooking so I can have that button on my blog. :) It isn't latch hook, but rug hooking which is from New England and completely a American craft. The only hard part is finding wool. If I was brave I would show you what I have done so far, well what the heck, I will.

So here is my first project.

This is a close up of the hook that you use to hook the rug.

So here I go working toward my button.
Happy Friday!!

6 comments:

Kessie said...

Mom! I never knew that you were secretly a hooker at heart! I can't believe you! ;-)

I love that picture with the sunflowers sprouting through the old dead leaves. It's profound.

Meg said...

Haha 15 minute hooker. That's awesome. Do you want wool (not yarn) you can order? I will send you a link to the place I get my spinning wool from.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Farm Girl said...

Thanks :)

Farm Girl said...

Hey N. R. you just have to grow up and then you find out the secret desires of your Mom. :) I have wanted to be a (rug) hooker since 2000 when I first saw it in a book. I even went so far to buy a piece of fabric so I could see what a hooked rug looked like. The date on that is 2002, so it just takes me lots of years to finally do something. :)

Farm Girl said...

Hey Meg,
Sure just send me the links. I am like you though, I have been trying to use up what I have instead of buying anything. All the quilting I have done has been just from my scraps. I have wool, but I am a hoarder alas, I hate to cut it up!!! How weird is that? But, this year I have been cutting it in little strips.
I refuse to buy one more crafty device until I use up what I have.
It make me shudder to see how much stuff I have and haven't used in 10 years or more.