Winter

Winter

Saturday, November 28, 2009

What is Love?


I was thinking today about love. I think what triggered it was watching my dog. I was wondering if a dog loves or if it is just a fond expression because I feed her. Then as so often as my mind goes down these rabbit trails. I thought about feeling love myself. When I met my husband, it was like nothing I had ever experienced, where I rushed to give up all that I was to another human being, but being a human, I think it was mainly a very selfish kind of love. Then I had my first child and love took me deeper than I ever dreamed.
I then became a Christian and I began learning about Gods love for us. It being the Christmas season, always causes me to think about God, the creator of the universe and all that is in it and that nothing was made that was made and thinking of him putting himself at the mercy of the human race. It just blows my mind. I ran across this little thing written about love and I thought I would share it because that is what I am thinking about this morning.
"Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with loving kindness I have drawn thee. (Jer. 31:3)
If ever human love was tender, self-sacrificing, and devoted; if ever if could bear and forbear;
if ever it could suffer gladly for its loved ones; if ever it was willing to pour itself out in a lavish abandonment for the comfort or pleasure of its objects; then infinitely more it is Divine love tender, and self-sacrificing, and devoted, and glad to bear and forebear, and to suffer, and to lavish its best of gifts and blessings upon the objects of its love. Put together all of the tenderest love you know of, the deepest you have ever felt, and the strongest that has ever been poured out upon you, and heap upon it all the love of all the loving human hearts in the world, and then multiply it by infinity, and you will begin, perhaps, to have some faint glimpse of what the love of God is. H.W.S.

Someday, and I say someday, I might be able to get a teeny-tiny glimpse of what love is, So Christmas to me always reminds me that God was willing to give up everything for us, and I ask myself today, what am I willing to give up for him?

No comments: