Winter

Winter

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

My White Silkie


One of the things that I love, and I mean love is my chickens. I had to go to a funeral on Saturday and towards the end, all I could think of was I needed to get home to my chickens. I came outside and just sat with them because when I am with them the world is a bit brighter. Now I hate to say it but I do have favorites and my white silkie is one of my favorites.
She got sick and I had to isolate her from the others and for a whole day she just stood and didn't eat or drink. I was giving her antibiotics but if they won't drink what do you do? I did put her head in and made her get some on her beak. Then the next day she seemed a bit better and ate and drank and then she ran from the the next morning and now she is all well. I was so happy because I just didn't think I would ever get another hen. When you buy silkies they are mostly straight run so you get what you get. I had got two silkie hens but in the winter a cat broke into my coop and got my gray one, which was my really, really favorite one.

I have some old hens that if I were the killing type and I am not, I would turn them into chicken soup because they don't lay eggs anymore and they beat up my laying hens, so today I was watching them walk around like they own the place and I named them The Witches of Eastwick.

I could see them bending over a pot stirring it making some potion. I have a sharp-shinned hawk that has decided that my chickens are going to be his next meal so now if I want them to have some time out of the coop I have to stay outside with them. The hawk sits on the fence now and yells at me. Sometimes if feels like I live miles and miles away from people.

I just had not told any chicken tales so I thought I would share some "Coop Talk." When I am out there sitting, I always feel just like Fern from Charlotte's Web.

2 comments:

Kessie said...

Ah, chicken talk. I miss just sitting outside and watching them go about their business. It's always so relaxing. Too cold to do that today, though.

Farm Girl said...

I went out there even though it was cold and windy and took pictures of them. They do seem to make my head clear, I never know why.