Winter

Winter

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Feeling of Fall in the Air


I don't know what the difference is this year verses years past, maybe it's because I have a post to write, but fall and all the colors of orange, red, brown and yellow just make me so happy. Looking around my house and having all of these pumpkins to play with has made it seem like I live in a New England State. I don't know if we have ever had this kind of crisp weather so early. The thing about living here is I hope it lasts. Walking around the pasture is just wonderful. Today as I was walking out there I was aware of this wonderful breeze blowing across my arms like the feel of silk, the cottonwoods were blowing and the sound was that sound of the waves on the beach. The woodpeckers have returned and I could hear them chattering back and forth. They sound a bit like a Meadow Lark. I caught the glimpse of the red on the underside of their wings. The sprinklers had come on so there was the sound like a fountain in the wells of the trees. The air to breathe is like a perfect wine. Last night there was the smell of someone burning the first fire so there was the wonderful smell of woodsmoke.
I think I was so tired of the heat, I forgot the beauty of where I live. Today though, I remembered how much I love this place, When I was four years old, and for the first time I walked out in the pasture and as I looked up at the tall, tall trees, I knew I was home. The day we moved in after the house was built, one of our neighbors, who knew me growing up and had known my extended family, came to the house and as she hugged me she said, " I am so glad you are finally home." I was home today, and I am so thankful for the gift.

No comments: