Winter

Winter

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Luffa Sponges

It is Thursday and I thought I would share one of the oddest crops, we grew this year.
It is called a Luffa Sponge or a dish rag sponge in some catalogs.


This doesn't look like much, if fact if I just saw it on the ground, I might just pick it up and throw it away.

If you pick it up, tear off the bottom and take out the seeds. Look at all of the seeds! You could grow tons of them from just one sponge.


Then you tear off the brown, crunchy stuff and throw it away.


Then you have this very nice sponge.
After I did this I just threw it in the washing machine and washed it with my dish rags and it washed up really nice. Now I am using it in the shower. When it isn't scrubby anymore, and too soft, just throw it away. It is completely bio-degradable.
They are still growing and I just pick them and lay them on the fence to finish drying. I like that kind of crop.

2 comments:

Kessie said...

Heh, now I wish I'd just washed mine in the washing machine all those years! I always cleaned them by hand and it was so hard to get them un-slimy. I've heard that luffas are very nice to clean eggs with.

Farm Girl said...

Hey, that is an idea. You can't believe how very nice they turn out after the washing machine. I just let it air dry. It dried in about 10 minutes.
They really are nice to use in the shower, I will have to try it on the eggs.